If there’s any excuse for incredible cocktails and amazing food then surely it’s 4th July. We’ve got together our top 3 recipes for a seriously sweet Independence Day!
1. Mini Cherry Berry Pies
This recipe comes to you courtesy of Women’s Day and are the cutest fruit pies made with cherries, strawberries and raspberries – perfect for a hot summer’s day. See the recipe below and get baking ready to impress your guests.
1 lb. fresh strawberries
2 package frozen cherries
12 oz. fresh raspberries
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. orange zest
0.33 c. sugar
2 tbsp. sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
3 refrigerated rolled pie crusts
1 large egg
12 disposable foil pie/tart tins
Small star-shaped cookie cutters
1. In a bowl, combine the strawberries, cherries, raspberries, cornstarch, orange zest, 1/3 cup sugar, and a pinch salt. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes.
2. Make a stencil for the pie crust: Place a pie tin top-down on a piece of paper and, using it as a guide, draw a circle 1 inch larger than the tin; cut out the stencil.
3. On a lightly floured surface, working with one pie crust at a time, roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Using the stencil, cut out 4 circles. Using the star cutters, cut out 6 stars, reserving the scraps. Fit the circle cut-outs into the bottoms and up the sides of the pie tins. Fold any overhang under itself to create a thicker rim of dough and crimp as desired. Place the pie tins and stars on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to fill. Repeat with the remaining pie crusts.
4. Fill the pie crusts with the cherry mixture (about a heaping 1/2 cup each).
5. Shape the remaining dough scraps into a 1-inch-thick disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 24 1/2-inch by 5-inch strips, rerolling and chilling the scraps as necessary.
6. Twist the dough strips and place on the pies as desired, trimming as necessary to fit; dab the ends with egg and pinch gently to attach to crusts. Place the stars on the pies as desired. Brush the dough stars and stripes with the remaining egg and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Refrigerate the pies for 30 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the pies until the fruit is bubbling and the crusts are golden brown; 25 to 30 minutes!
2. Strawberry & Ginger Cooler
This delightful cocktail, all the way from gojee.com is a really refreshing drink – just don’t have too many!
2 large strawberries, sliced, plus 1 strawberry half
1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
2 ounces fresh orange juice
1 ounce fresh lime juice
2 ounces chilled ginger beer
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the strawberry slices with the chopped ginger. Add ice and the orange and lime juices and shake well. Double strain into an ice-filled collins glass. Stir in the ginger beer and garnish with the strawberry half.
3. Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers
You’ve got AllRecipes.com to thank for this bad boy! Never thought that something could replace hamburgers? Prepare to be converted.
3 pounds ground turkey
¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup finely diced onion
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, seasoned bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 12 patties.
2. Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C).
Happy 4th July guys! We hope you have an awesome celebration, whatever you’re eating. Check out our party-themed Pinterest board for more cocktails and party games.